Monday, July 28, 2008

Learning to spin

Well, I ordered a drop spindle kit from http://www.silversunalpacas.etsy.com this weekend. What an adventure! My first attempt was really fat and overspun, so I got some suggestions from the etsy forums and a group of spinners on ravelry. My second came out much better. I could tell it wasn't overspun because it kept falling apart! It went really well until I stopped using the roving and started to use a batt. Apparently they are really different to spin. The batt is really thick and thin, I figured out I had to predraft it thinner than the roving and stretch it a bit to make it thinner. I am such a beginner, but it is fun, with a little swearing involved. I really know why handspun yarn can be really expensive, it is very time consuming! I hope to make something out of my new yarn. Pictures are coming!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on buying a spindle! I just recently started to spin too. I love it! It's so relaxing.

frolicnfibers said...

Well, you've got me encouraged! Although I spin (it seems all the time!) I have never spun on a drop spindle. Was just telling my hubby that I need to give it a try...probably this winter. It's really scary to try new things at 50 though! Thanks for the encouragement :)!

SILVER SUN said...

Thanks for posting my store name on your blog.
You described exctly my 1st. attempt of drop spinning:) After you will master the drop spindle the wheel will be so easy.
Let me know if I can help in any way.
Most important, have fun and enjoy.
Ricky

Barbra said...

You are so brave. Spinning scares me! Good luck!

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi,

Don't fall asleep, for in these times it will be troublesome finding a prince to wake you up :-)

Kind regards,

José